NEBOSH Training - Which Course is Right for Me?
There are a number of NEBOSH accreditation and course options available for health and safety professionals looking to further their career in a number of areas. These are:
NEBOSH Certificate Level Courses
NEBOSH certificate courses are the first step to gaining NEBOSH accreditation from this UK awarding organisation in health, safety and environmental management. Having a NEBOSH certificate on your CV in your professional area of expertise is the equivalent of holding A-level standard qualifications in England, Wales and NI (or NQF/QCF Level 3), or a SCQF Level 6 qualification (Scotland).
There are 8 common certificate level NEBOSH training courses on offer and two certificate level conversion courses.
- The first, and best known, is the NEBOSH National General Certificate. The course is suitable for persons across a range of industries who are in roles which include the promotion of health and safety and qualifies the candidate to apply for TechIOSH and IOSH membership.
- The International General Certificate is also an option for professionals who work primarily outside of the UK. This course is designed to familiarise you with the standards required for health and safety outside the UK, but follows the main content as the National General course in the main.
- The NEBOSH National Certificate in Fire and Safety is suitable for managers and fire safety advisors who have to ensure that their company adheres to fire safety legislation. This certificate covers how to conduct fire risk assessments and how to minimize fire risks. If you hold the NGC1 Management of Health and Safety unit, you can complete a NEBOSH Fire Safety and Risk Management Conversion Course.
- The NEBOSH National Construction Certificate is focused around health and safety professionals working in the construction industry. If you already hold the - NGC1 Management of Health and Safety unit then some trainers offer a conversion course for this certificate.
- It is also possible to undertake an International version of this course; the International Certificate in Construction Health and Safety is suitable for those working in a non UK location. Like the NEBOSH National Construction Certificate, the NEBOSH International Certificate in Construction addresses current legislation but with an international, rather than UK focus.
- The National Environmental Certificate (also known as the NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management or the NEBOSH Environmental Certificate) addresses environmental management issues. It is suitable for those who have the responsibility of managing environmental issues as part of their day to day duties (UK only).
- The NEBOSH HSE Certificate in Health and Safety Leadership Excellence has been created for those in senior management and leadership roles to focus on the health and safety culture in the workplace.
- NEBOSH HSE Introduction to Incident Investigation this certificate was introduced in 2019 from NEBOSH and the HSE, aimed at training employees in accident investigations in the workplace.
- The NEBOSH International Oil & Gas Certificate has been designed for Managers, Supervisors and Employee reps who have the responsibility of ensuring oil and gas safety as part of their daily duties. This is an international course only.
NEBOSH Diploma Level Courses
Diploma level NEBOSH training course is the highest ranking course level on offer. They are aimed at health and safety professionals or those aiming to achieve a higher level degree in this area.
There are 3 NEBOSH diploma options:
- The NEBOSH National Diploma
- The NEBOSH International Diploma
- The NEBOSH Diploma in Environmental Management
The NEBOSH National Diploma is aimed at those wishing to further their career within the health and safety profession. Persons qualifying for a NEBOSH National Diploma can apply for graduate membership of IOSH (Grad IOSH) or use it towards meeting the perquisites to study a UK MSc.
The international Diploma is the next step for those working outside the UK, if they have previously studied the International General Certificate. This course follows the same content as the National Diploma, but does not focus on UK specific legislation.
The NEBOSH Diploma in Environmental Management is aimed at individuals whose role is connected with environmental management. Passing the diploma enables candidates to apply for Associate Membership of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA).
If a more introductory level NEBOSH training course is more suitable to your needs, you may consider a NEBOSH Award course.
The most popular award level course is the NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Qualification. Often taken by people needing to improve their understanding of health and safety in their own work environment, it is also an excellent basis on which to ground any further NEBOSH training.