2 days Who Should Attend?
This two day course is intended for those who have, or are about to acquire, supervisory responsibilities. Aims & Objectives
To ensure that all those given supervisory responsibilities understand
- Why they are carrying out their identified duties
- What is expected of them
- To ensure that they contribute to the safety of the workplace
To ensure that at the conclusion of the course Delegates will be able to:
- Understand the problems of the industry
- Have an understanding of how health and safety law is structured and how it applies to supervisors
- Identify how their supervisory role fits in with the management structure in controlling the site safely
- Carry out risk assessments and understand the need for method statements
- Carry out effective site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings
- Be able to monitor site activities effectively Programme:
- Introduction, GE706, SMSTS
- Health and Safety Law, Acts and Regulations, Codes of Practice, HSE and enforcement, Safety policies communication and consultation.
- Developing a Health and Safety Management System – Audit and reviews, proactive and reactive monitoring.
- Occupational Health, Noise, Dust and Vibration, Dermatitis, Asbestos, drugs and alcohol, health surveillance.
- Fire prevention, joint code of practice, managing risk, HFL’s and LPG’s, Extinguishers.
- Risk Assessment and Method Statements – terminology, controls, young persons.
- Hazardous Substances, COSHH, Asbestos, Lead.
- Group Exercise – Risk Assessment
- Group Presentations
- Review and issue homework Day Two:
- Review of day one.
- Construction (Design and Management) regulations, duty holders, control systems.
- Working at height – hierarchy of control, planning, selection of equipment. Assessment.
- Personal Protective Equipment – selection and use requirement of the regulations.
- Manual Handling – assessment, kinetic lifting.
- Accidents on site, First Aid Regulations Accident Reporting (RIDDOR 95)
- Waste and Environmental Management
- Toolbox Talks, Induction, Communication.
- Course examination and results.
- Review of course and dispersal. Additional Information
SSSTS certification is valid for 5 years.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.
CITB grants are available for businesses in scope.
Course cost includes CITB books, certification, and lunch.