SSSTS Training Course Aims
The Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) course has been designed to meet the needs of site supervisors within the construction industry. The course is designed for first line managers, foremen, gangers, team leaders and supervisors: those who have, or are about to acquire, supervisory responsibilities and need to understand their legal duties to better contribute to the instruction, supervision and monitoring of tasks and activities to ensure safety on site.
The course aims to highlight the need for risk assessment in the workplace, implementation of the necessary control measures and adequate communication and monitoring in order to provide and maintain positive standards of health, safety and welfare on a construction site.
The SSSTS training course is designed to ensure that candidates have an overview and understanding of their responsibility for supervising and helping to oversee safety in a construction site environment.
The SSSTS training course is an ideal lead in for delegates who will go on to attend the five-day CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) at a later stage of their career development.
SSSTS Training Course Objectives - Upon completion of the SSSTS training course, candidates will be able to:
- Understand the problems of the industry;
- Appreciate how health and safety law is structured;
- Identify how their supervisory role fits into that of the manager in controlling site safety;
- Carry out risk assessments and understand the need for method statements;
- Carry out site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings;
- Understand what is meant by proactive and reactive monitoring and appreciate their need.
SSSTS Training Course Content - The main topics covered by the SSSTS training course syllabus will be best practice in areas such as:
- Construction Accidents: types, numbers and immediate and underlying causes
- Health and Safety Legal System
- Acts, Regulations, Approved Codes of Practice and Guidance Notes
- Risk Assessment in areas such as:
- Work at height
- Occupational Health
- Control of contractors
- Confined Spaces
- Course Details
SSSTS Training Course Duration - 2-days
Each Candidate will receive as part of the course fees the Construction Skills GE706 – Site Safety Simplified.
SSSTS Training course Assessment
There is a 30 minute, 25 question, objective multiple-choice examination at the end of the course. Successful candidates will be awarded the CITB Site Supervisor Safety Training Certificate
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a CITB accredited certificate which is valid for five years.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.