The refresher course is for delegates who have previously passed the full SMSTS course or subsequent refresher course and can provide proof of attendance. It aims to bring health and safety knowledge up to date, as well as giving a thorough overview of the legislative changes and their impact in the workplace. The course includes a wide range of topics many building on the previous five-day course programme as well as introducing new subjects.
Aims & Objectives:
The refresher course aims to:
- Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety, welfare and environmental issues
- Identify measures that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation, and new working practices.
At the end of the period of training, delegates will be:
- Aware of, and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as a manager
- Aware of and able to implement new guidance and industry of best practice
- More aware of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment
The method of assessment will be by multiple-choice questions at the end of the course, as well as being expected to be interactive during the course.
Delegates are required to attend both sessions, since without full attendance and achievement in the examination the renewal of the Construction Site Manager’s Safety Certificate cannot be made.
Delegates must attend the days in order and, where not on consecutive days, must complete the course within two weeks. Delegates unable to attend both days due to extenuating circumstances (e.g. certificated sickness) will need to enrol onto a new course in order to maintain continuity of learning outcomes and attend both days again.
Only those delegates who hold an existing SMSTS or subsequent refresher course and provided evidence to the training provider before attending the course are eligible to attend the refresher course. Failure to attend the refresher course prior to the expiry of an existing certificate will require delegates to re-enter the scheme by completing the full SMSTS course if they wish to remain in the scheme.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.
Certification: Cskills Awards