All candidates will be trained and tested by one of the trainer's fully accredited, expert instructors.
The duration of the course is 1-5 days depending on units of accreditation required. On successful completion of the full 5 Day Operatives course, candidates will be issued with a NRSWA Operatives Certificate and Card. The law requires that at least 1 Operative in any squad must have gained the required qualification/s in the aspect of the work being undertaken.
The Aim of the Course is to:
Enable Operatives to gain the necessary qualifications ( Up to 5 groups can be gained ) under the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991 to allow them to carry out their duties on the public highway, ranging from excavation to permanent re-instatement of paved structures.
The Objectives of the Course are to enable delegates to:
• Gain skills and knowledge to fulfil duties required by the Roads and Streets Works Act 1991.
• Have an understanding of responsibilities under Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 & other current relevant legislation.
Who Should Attend The Course?
The law requires that at least 1 Operative in any squad must have gained the required qualification/s in the aspect of the work being undertaken.
Candidates will participate in theory lessons and practical demonstrations / exercises, all of which are highlighted by the use of OHP & Videos covering :
• New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991
• Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
• Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
• Other current relevant regulations
• Interpretation of plans
• Safe working practices
• Identification of apparatus
• Excavation techniques
• Disposal of surplus material
• Repositioning of kerbs and edgings• Use of cable location equipment
• Reinstatement of the road structure
• Reinstatement of modular footpaths
• Use of temporary traffic lights
• Implication of damage to apparatus
• Layout of signs, cones and barriers
• Surface finishing
• Re-use of selected excavated material
Certification: SQA Certification and a Street Works Register ID Card which proves registration on the New Roads & Street Works Qualification Register.