All candidates will be trained and tested by one of the trainer's fully accredited, expert instructors.
Training and assessments can take place either at our purpose built training facility in Blackridge, West Lothian or on your site.
The duration of the course is 1-5 days depending on units of accreditation required. On successful completion of the full 5 Day Operatives course, candidates will be issued with a NRSWA Operatives Certificate and Card. The law requires that at least 1 Operative in any squad must have gained the required qualification/s in the aspect of the work being undertaken.
The Aim of the Course is to:
Enable Operatives to gain the necessary qualifications ( Up to 5 groups can be gained )
under the New roads and Streetworks Act 1991 to allow them to carry out their duties on the
public highway, ranging from excavation to permanent re-instatement of paved structures.
The Objectives of the Course are to enable delegates to:
• Gain skills and knowledge to fulfil duties required by the Roads and Streets Works
• Have an understanding of responsibilities under Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
& other current relevant legislation.
Who Should Attend The Course?
The law requires that at least 1 Operative in any squad must have gained the required
qualification/s in the aspect of the work being undertaken.
Candidates will participate in theory lessons and practical demonstrations / exercises, all of
which are highlighted by the use of OHP & Videos covering :
• New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991
• Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
Provision and Use of Work Equipment
• Other current relevant regulations
• Interpretation of plans
• Safe working practices
• Identification of apparatus
• Excavation techniques
• Disposal of surplus material
• Repositioning of kerbs and edgings
• Use of cable location equipment
• Reinstatement of the road structure
• Reinstatement of modular footpaths
• Use of temporary traffic lights
• Implication of damage to apparatus
• Layout of signs, cones and barriers
• Surface finishing
• Re-use of selected excavated material
1-5 days depending on units of accreditation required.
SQA Certification and a Street Works Register ID Card which proves registration on the New
Roads & Street Works Qualification Register.