Who Should Attend?
This programme is designed for Supervisors who are required to monitor Operatives performing excavation, backfill and reinstatement duties.
To provide delegates with the skills and knowledge to perform Supervisor duties to the standards prescribed by City & Guilds in-line with the NRSW Act 1991, in order to safeguard themselves and others.
01. Location and avoidance of underground apparatus
10. Monitoring signing, lighting and guarding
11. Monitoring excavation in the highway
12. Monitoring reinstatement of compaction and backfill materials
13. Monitoring reinstatement of sub-base and roadbase non-bituminous materials
14. Monitoring reinstatement of bituminous materials
15. Monitoring reinstatement of concrete slabs
16. Monitoring reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways
06. Monitoring excavation in the highway (Units 1,10 & 11)
07. Monitoring excavation, backfill & reinstatement of construction layers with a bituminous surface (Units 1, 10-14)
08. Monitoring reinstatement of construction layers in bituminous materials (Units 1, 10 & 14)
09. Monitoring reinstatement of concrete slabs (Units 1, 10 & 15)
10. Monitoring reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways (Units 1, 10 & 16)
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Summarise the requirements of the NRSW Act 1991
- Select appropriate personal protective and safety equipment as required to carry out street works activities
- Monitor duties performed by Operatives for each unit and/or qualification as prescribed by City & Guilds standards in-line with current legislation, and ACOP where applicable
- Provide a safe working environment for themselves and others
A high proportion of practical exercises and simulated assessments, supplemented with video and classroom based tutorials. Supervisors have to demonstrate the ability to monitor a site and compile written reports in order to successfully complete the course.
A training group may contain a mix of both Supervisors and Operatives, however a minimum of 2 Operatives must be available for Supervisors to carry out monitoring exercises, thus enabling the most effective development of these candidates.
There are 8 units for Supervisors and a separate certificate is issued for each. In addition, various combinations of the units will lead to a full Street Works qualification for which an SWQR card will be awarded.
Delegates should provide a passport photograph on the day of training for production of SWQR Cards. For courses held at our centre in Wellingborough we can provide this service on your behalf using our on-site digital camera.
Delegates attending this course should be physically and mentally fit to withstand the rigours of training.