600 people are injured every year due to underground cables being damaged during excavation work on the highway. There are also many people injured through damaging water and gas pipes.
Our course is designed to make candidates aware of the dangers involved in excavating on public highway and private land and train them to detect and avoid most buried apparatus.
Everyone connected with excavation will benefit from this course, including: designers and planners, safety personnel, site management and all operational staff including machine operators.
- Responsibility under Health & Safety at Work Act.
- Responsibility to work to HSG47 (The avoidance of underground services).
- Obtaining and understanding utilities drawings.
- Observation of surface features – manholes, lamp standard etc.
- Use of locating Cat and Genny or similar (Digi Cat).
- Careful excavation.
- Practical assessment.
All delegates should have available & bring with them the following safety equipment;
- Safety shoes / boots
- Waterproof clothing
- Fluorescent Waistcoat/Jacket
- Overalls/work clothes
Course duration: One day
Number of delegates:
As little as 1 delegate on our open scheduled courses. In-company courses can be arranged for a minimum or 8 and accommodate a maximum of 12
Start time: 08:30 am*
Lunch is provided on all courses run at our Training Centres
*Course times will be confirmed in the Joining Instructions once the course is booked.