This qualification is for people who have a specific responsibility at work, or in voluntary and community activities, to provide first aid to children (including babies) when dealing with an emergency situation, chronic or sudden paediatric illness or injury.
Note: This qualification fulfils Ofsted’s first aid requirements for early year’s teachers, nursery workers and child minders (as defined within the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage 2014 and within the Child Care Register guide).
- The roles and responsibilities of a paediatric first aider
- Assessing an emergency situation
- Dealing with an unresponsive infant or child
- Recovery position
- Head and spinal injuries
- Fractures, dislocations and sprains
- Anaphylaxis and allergic reactions
- Diabetic emergencies
- Burns and Scalds
- Electric shock
- Wounds and bleeding
- Sickle cell crisis
- Eye, ear and nose conditions
- Bites and stings
- Treatment for hot and cold temperatures
- Minor Injuries
- Accident recording
This Level 3 award in Paediatric First Aid is valid for a period of 3 years, within which time the learner will need to re-take the course and assessments in order to remain qualified. It is regarded as best practice for those holding first aid qualifications to undertake annual refresher training.