IEMA Associate Certificate Course in Environmental Management
Leading to Associate Membership of the Institute of Environmental
Management and Assessment
The Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) is a
recognised specialist authority in the field of the environment. The popular 2 week certificate is aimed at managers and safety and environmental practitioners who have responsibility for environmental management and leads to associate membership of IEMA for successful candidates.
At the end of the programme you should be able to:
- Understand the issues, science and philosophy that underpin environmental sustainability
- Identify relevant legislation for an organisation and take initial steps towards ensuring compliance
- Understand the role of various analytical and managerial tools and the assessment, interpretation and management of environmental performance
A full list of objectives is available on request.
- Earth’s Natural Systems: the principal environmental concerns
- Business and environment and the incorporation of environmental considerations into an organisation's operations
- Effects of releases: principal sources of pollutants; their characteristics and effects on various media and key issues towards sustainability: the business benefits of environmental management
- The British legal system in respect of environmental law, including criminal law, civil law, public and statutory nuisance, negligence, trespass, and powers of enforcement agencies and others
- Controls on emissions to the atmosphere; discharges to water; the management of controlled waste; and contaminated land
- Nuisance: the nature of civil law with respect to nuisance and the prime regulatory mechanisms
- Other relevant legislation: planning law and its relation to environmental considerations
- Environmental risk assessment and the identification of significant impacts
- Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
-The role and importance of monitoring, performance indicators
- The role of the environmental audit
- Life Cycle Analysis, Environmental Impact Assessment, Strategic Environmental Assessment
- Integrated approaches to pollution prevention and control; treatment technologies and techniques
- The role of environmental reporting
- Role of environmental labelling and green claims in communicating environmental information
- IEMA Examination
The assessment involves an open book formal examination at the end of the programme.
Membership of IEMA
The course fee includes registration with IEMA and your first year’s membership subscription. The trainer will manage the membership arrangements for successful candidates.
The course either has new dates in data loading, or is only run as a dedicated or In Company course.