Health & Safety Awareness (CITB) - Site Safety Plus
Who is it for?
This one day course is for those who have entered, or are about to enter, the construction and civil engineering industry as a member of the workforce, to help them understand the potential hazards that they face at work on site.
To ensure that individual responsibilities are understood:
- Why they are carrying out their identified duties
- What is expected of them
- To ensure that they contribute to the safety of the workplace
At completion of the course delegates will be able to:
- Understand the need to prevent accidents
- Have an understanding of health and safety law
- Identify how their role fits into the control and management of the site
- Understand the need for risk assessment and method statement
- Appreciate the need to perform safely and to stop and ask for advice if unsure
- Feel obliged to report unsafe acts to prevent an accident
The minimum entry equipment is a good understanding of spoken and written English.
- Introduction and Course Overview
- Health and Safety Law, methods of communication and consultation, Risk Assessments, Method Statements, Toolbox Talks and permits to work, accident prevention and reporting, accident investigation and near miss.
- Occupational Health, Health Surveillance, Dermatitis, Weils disease, alcohol and drugs welfare provision.
- Manual Handling – duties of employer and employee. Assessment (T.I.L.E.)
- Working at Height – what is working at height?, Hierarchy of control, ladders, stilts and hop ups, collective and personal.
- Personal Protective Equipment, hand protection regulations, PPE regulations, employers/employee duties.
- Emergency routes, fire prevention on construction sites, First Aid requirements and qualification immediate action, fire extinguishers, classes of fire, fire triangle.
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health, legal duties, Asbestos, Lead, HFL’s and LPG.
- Electricity at Work, PAT Testing of portable appliances, overhead and underground cables, hand held tools.
- Noise, Dust and Vibration – causes and effects, The Noise Regulations, The Vibration Regulations – duties and control measures, Vibration White Finger – symptom and solutions.
- Traffic Management and Site Plant – accident and causes, segregation from people, traffic routes, excavations and contaminated ground. Inspection, confined space working, buried services, precaution and rescue.
- Safety Signs and Signals
- End of Course Test