Course Duration: 10 days
Pre-requisites: Candidates must have successfully passed the CSCS Health, Safety and Environment touchscreen test for Operatives within the past two years.
Training Methods: The course is delivered through a combination of classroom-based tutorials and practical training.
On completion of this course candidates will be able to:
- Identify the basic construction, purpose and function of components and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges
- Identify and comply with manufacturers’ instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook, other information sources and applicable legislation.
- Carry out all pre-use and running checks.
- Configure the excavator for site travel.
- Travel the machine over varying types of terrain, including rough, undulating ground and substantial inclines.
- Manoeuvre the excavator in confined areas.
- Set the machine to excavate.
- Explain precautions to be taken for underground and overhead services and other hazards.
- Excavate below ground level on a variety of excavations in different ground types.
- Place spoil into various sizes of vehicles/hoppers.
- Grade, spread and level different types of terrain.
- Remove and re-attach buckets.
- Carry out a basic lifting exercise
- Place the machine in an out-of-service condition.
- Explain the loading and unloading procedures on and off a transporter.
To achieve the Red CPCS Trained Operator Card candidates must pass both the CPCS Theory Test and the Practical Test.