The aim of this unit is to assess learners against the national standard in a realistic medium risk environment preparing to work safely; entering and exiting confined spaces safely; preparing and using appropriate respiratory protective equipment (RPE); using equipment and tools safely; following procedures and dealing with emergencies.
There is also a behavioural emphasis on the candidate undertaking the assessment in an efficient and safe manner.
The unit also requires the learner to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of medium risk confined spaces through a mix of practical observation and written assessment.
There are nine learning outcomes to this unit. The learner will be able to:
1. Prepare to work safely in medium risk confined spaces
2. Enter and exit confined spaces safely
3. Prepare and use appropriate respiratory protective equipment (RPE) for escape purposes in accordance with manufacturers’ specifications
4. Use equipment and tools safely and in accordance with manufacturers’ instructions
5. Follow procedures and work safely
6. Deal with emergencies
7. Use appropriate behaviour for working in medium risk confined spaces
8. Use appropriate knowledge for working in medium risk confined spaces
9. Apply relevant industry standards for working in medium risk confined spaces