Cable Avoidance Tool (CAT) and Signal Generator (Genny)/Utility Avoidance
Protection against specific hazards, Regulation 12 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 states: ‘Every employer shall take measures to ensure that the exposure of a person, using work equipment, to any risk is either prevented or adequately controlled.’
This course is intended for operatives who are required to locate underground services as part of a safe system of work for excavation.
The course is designed to provide the necessary skills required to location underground services using utility drawings, including the use and maintenance of a CAT and Genny.
Outcomes: Certificate of attendance accredited by the training provider.
- Multiple choice question paper.
- Practical test (set up, operate and locate underground services using the CAT and Genny).
- Basic principles of location and avoidance of underground services.
- Reading and understanding site plans.
- Use a Cable Avoidance Tool (CAT) and Signal Generator (Genny) in P, R & G Modes.
- Appreciation of difficulties associated with underground service avoidance.
- Identify risks and hazards associated with underground service avoidance.
- Hazard avoidance.
- Storage and maintenance of equipment.