Which Health and Safety Management Course?
IOSH (The Institute of Occupational Safety and Health) are a leading body for health and safety professionals. Whilst IOSH will develop tailored courses there are currently three principle short courses offered through a network of approved training providers, which are typically targeted towards small and medium sized businesses. These courses are:
• IOSH Managing Safely: - This course includes 8 modules and is designed for managers and supervisors in all sectors. The course has a flexible format and is typically run over 4 or 5 days. For smaller and medium sized companies, this course will probably be the most appropriate course for those responsible for health and safety management, but in larger or higher risk organizations the NEBOSH National General Certificate is generally thought of as being a better introductory option.
• IOSH Directing Safely: - This one day course is intended for Senior Managers and Directors with strategic responsibility for effective health and safety management. It is typically aimed at Director in small and medium sized businesses who need to understand their statutory duties and responsibilities.
• IOSH Working Safely:- This is a one-day course for staff with no supervisory or managerial responsibilities. It is a generalized course which applies across all sectors.
NEBOSH (The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) is an independent examining board and awarding body offering vocationally-related health, safety, environmental and risk management qualifications.
• NEBOSH National General Certificate: This course is an entry level course aimed at managers, supervisors or employee representatives who have responsibility for health and safety. The course focuses on risk management and control of workplace hazards, and also includes a work based project assignment. The format for this course is typically based on 2 one week study periods, with an optional 2 days for exam tutorials plus examinations. This course is not an appropriate qualification for health and safety practitioners, who would typically seek a higher level of qualification such as NEBOSH Diploma.
• NEBOSH Diploma: A NEBOSH Diploma is an internationally recognized qualification for health and safety advisors.
There are also accredited courses, which are more specific to certain industry sectors.
CIEH (The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health) is a professional, awarding and campaigning body at the forefront of environmental and public health and safety. CIEH qualifications are most common with the food industry, where the CIEH is the market leader in accredited training in food safety and health and safety, but the CIEH also offer a range of course with wider relevance outside of the food industry.
Within the Construction industry, the Site Safety Plus Scheme is a health and safety training programme designed to provide the building, civil engineering and allied industries with a range of courses for individuals seeking to develop their skill sets. The scheme is run through a network of CITB accredited Training Providers. The CITB - SMSTS (Site Management Safety Training Scheme) is specifically aimed at site managers.