Different Types of NEBOSH Training Courses are Available Online
NEBOSH training courses cover several industries such as construction, health and safety, occupational health and safety, environmental management, fire safety and risk management. Experts claim that as many as 30,000 people take NEBOSH qualifications annually for a number of reasons including:
- NEBOSH has been recognised by a number of major professional membership bodies such as the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and The International Institute of Risk and Safety Management. Its’ reputation continues to grow in strength all over the world.
- NEBOSH courses are suitable for experienced professionals and those people who just start out in safety and health careers.
- The courses are delivered in different formats including e-learning and blended learning, meaning they offer flexibility on an individual basis.
- They are easy to book online thanks to convenient and reliable booking options available at specialised websites.
- NEBOSH cover different levels of qualifications such as certificate and diploma level courses.
The different types of NEBOSH course cover a wide range of topics dependent on the course being taken, from risk management and control, to movement of people, equipment hazards, fire hazards, construction hazards, incident and accident investigation. They also cover the prevention and measures to take to futureproof against incidents occurring. These far reaching courses should ensure that every possibility is covered and that your company and its workforce will be equipped to deal with any situation that may arises. Health and safety in the workplace is a critical issue and these courses exist to ensure all employees understand this.
Why Health and Safety is Important
Health and safety laws have become more stringent over the years and for good reason; the number of workplace related accidents and fatalities has grown over the years as new advances in technologies have become available, and it is essential that health and safety policies grow in accordance to reduce risks and accidents. Undertaking risk assessments are one such way to do so.
Risk assessments are a huge task for any company and one that must be adhered to. A failure to comply or undertake risk management issues could leave a firm liable to great damages. Failure to assess risk also indicates a poor level of planning and management.
Different Types of NEBOSH Training
Multiple types of NEBOSH training courses are available. They are designed to suit either beginners who aim at getting up-to-date information or professionals who want to become health and safety practitioners. These are available to attend at locations around the country, or a select few as distance learning courses.
NEBOSH Award Courses
These are introductory courses designed to help delegates obtain a general understanding of the principles of health and safety, and how these apply on an individual basis when in the workplace.
NEBOSH Certificate Courses
NEBOSH certificate qualifications should be viewed as a good base level to go on and achieve further safety qualifications. They provide a great basis in health and safety for managers, supervisory figures and for those taking their first steps in a career in health and safety.
Certificate courses are typically divided into a number of units and are primarily intended for employees at management or team leader level or who have some supervisory capacity over fellow employees of specific areas of health and safety responsibility.
NEBOSH General Certificate
The NEBOSH National General Certificate is the most popular health and safety qualification within the country and equips those new to health and safety practices and legislation with a basic understanding of the main health and safety issues. This is only for individuals who spend the majority of their working career inside the UK; for those who work abroad, the NEBOSH International General Certificate is the better option. This does not focus on UK specific legislation like the National course.
- The General Certificate is taken in three separate sections. The first two units, NGC1 and NGC2, have a written examination at the end and the third unit, NCG3, is a practical examination. This ensures that the teaching methods on the course are both theoretical and practical and provides an examination of the methods and teachings being out into work. This combination of both the theoretical and the practical should help in providing people with the knowledge and experience required to feel comfortable and experienced in their job.
- The NCG1 unit provides a legal overview of the health and safety requirements a firm needs to have in the current climate. This also covers the financial and moral implications and benefits of implementing good health and safety practices and how this should be implemented with regards the management structure. Each firm has to be aware of their responsibilities with regards to health and safety and the NCG1 unit is an excellent way for firms to develop their knowledge and create a safer working environment for their staff.
- The NCG2 unit centres more upon controlling hazards in the workplace and safe use of equipment, electricity and chemical hazards. This unit also focuses on the construction industry and the peculiar dangers and hazards that may arise in this sector.
- The NCG3 unit is the practical part and provides the chance for delegates to prove their knowledge of the aspects covered in NGC1 & 2. The NCG1 and NCG2 elements of the training course need to be completed before undertaking the NCG3 unit. The combination of these units should provide enough of a grounding to ensure that an organisation is applying the best methods of health and safety control in their workplace.
NEBOSH Diploma Courses
For those who are more advanced in the field, NEBOSH Diploma courses are more suitable as they offer a more comprehensive learning programme based around more specific health and safety points. They are designed to meet the requirements of health and safety or environmental professionals who aim at becoming qualified practitioners.
Like the Certificate courses, certain NEBOSH Diploma courses are available both on a National and International basis.
NEBOSH Distance Learning Courses
NEBISH distance or e-learning courses are available for a select range including the International/National General Certificate and the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety. These allow delegates to sit courses in their own time and location, which is perfect for those who cannot make a physical course. They often last for longer than an attendance course.
Those who wish to sit a distance learning courses will still need to sit their exams at a registered NEBOSH centre. These are accessible throughout the UK.
Attendance or Distance Learning?
There are advantages to both modes of delivery and much depends on how you learn best, how hectic your schedule is and what your other responsibilities are.
If you choose to complete your training at a recognised centre you will have face to face support from the tutor and access to others on the same course with which to discuss your learning. This may suit those who learn well in a classroom environment and who benefit from bouncing their ideas off of others. This mode of learning often leads to completing the course in the fastest way possible as the exams are usually soon after the main body of the training, getting the whole course over and done with in one go, essential if you need to be qualified as soon as possible.
Distance learning courses do require the individual to be disciplined and motivated. but support is available as many training providers now offer help and guidance via Facebook, email and telephone. Student forums and online materials are also available providing comprehensive support for the distance learner and increasing their confidence when studying independently from a group.