Choosing the Right NEBOSH Course to Further your Career
There are a wide range of NEBOSH courses available, each one specialising in a different area of expertise. If you know that you need to undertake a NEBOSH course but aren’t sure which one is the best fit for your requirements and situation, please read our handy guide to choose the right NEBOSH course to further your career.
The range of NEBOSH courses available fall under a set of different categories, each for different sectors and requirements:
Health and Safety
If you wish to undertake or further your career in Health and Safety, this is the range of courses you need to consider.
• National General Certificate – The National General Certificate course is the most widely attained Health and Safety certificate in the UK and is seen as an initial step to a career in this area. It is aimed at workers who live and work in the UK.
• International General Certificate – Suitable for those at the start of their Health and Safety career and who are typically based outside the UK.
• National Diploma - Seen as the flagship of all NEBOSH courses, this course is aimed at both current Health and Safety Practitioners and those who wish to train in this area. Candidates must be based in the UK to be eligible.
• International Diploma – The International version of the National Diploma, this is aimed at Health and Safety practitioners who are typically based outside the UK.
• Fire Safety & Risk Management – This course is aimed at Managers and supervisory staff who have to ensure that their organisation meets its responsibilities under fire safety legislation, as well as those who are moving into fire safety advisor roles.
• International Oil & Gas Certificate – Aimed at Managers, Supervisors and Employee representatives, as well as newly appointed Health and Safety Advisors, who have the responsibility for ensuring oil and gas safety as part of their day to day duties.
Consider these courses if you have or will have Environmental Considerations as part of your career or job role.
• National Environmental Certificate – This is aimed at managers, supervisors and employees who have responsibility for managing environmental issues on a daily basis. As it focuses on UK law and environmental management systems, those based outside the UK are not eligible.
• Environmental Diploma – The next step from the Certificate, this Diploma is for those who are responsible for developing and implementing effective environmental systems within their job role, looking to make an effective contribution to environmental management at both strategic and operational levels.
Aimed at Supervisors, Managers and CDM Co-Ordinators in the Construction sector.
• National Construction Certificate – Those who undertake this course should be required to ensure that activities under their control are undertaken safely. Also appropriate for those working in utilities and temporary workplaces.
A selection of NEBOSH courses are available in distance learning format, a perfect alternative for whose who cannot onsite courses. Candidates can carry out individual units over extended periods of time, so although this will delay receiving the eventual qualification, makes it easier if time for studying is at a premium.
Available Distance Learning NEBOSH Courses
• NEBOSH National General Certificate
• NEBOSH Construction Certificate
• NEBOSH Fire Safety & Risk Management Certificate
• NEBOSH International General Certificate
• NEBOSH Construction Certificate Conversion
• NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
Anyone wishing to undertake an e-learning course should ensure they have the appropriate tools and time available in which to study around their other responsibilities for signing up for the course.