This Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) course is aimed at first line managers, including those who have to or are about to, acquire supervisory responsibilities.
The SSSTS course provides an introduction to health and safety, welfare and environmental issues for those requiring an understanding of their legal responsibilities relevant to their work activities. SSSTS will provide a sound knowledge base to enable them to give valuable assistance in safely managing a construction site.
The minimum entry equipment is a good understanding of spoken and written English.
The aims and objectives on the two-day SSSTS course are to ensure that all those given supervisory responsibilities understand:
- Why they are carrying out their identified duties.
- What is expected of them.
- That they need to contribute to the safety of the workplace.
The SSSTS course content (CITB) includes:
- Health & safety law
- Developing a health & safety management system
- Occupational health – drugs and alcohol
- Fire prevention & control
- vRisk assessments and method statements
- Hazardous substances
- Working at height
- Manual handling
- Accidents and first aid
- Toolbox talks
By the end of the Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme (SSS) delegates will be able to:
- Understand the problems of the industry.
- Have an understanding of how health and safety law is structured.
- Identify how their supervisory role fits in with the manager in controlling the site safely.
- Carry out risk assessments and understand the need for method statements.
- Carry out site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings.
- Understand what is meant by proactive and reactive monitoring and appreciate their need.
The SSSTS course has a high proportion of discussions, best practice sharing, syndicate exercises and case studies will be supplemented with classroom based tutorial.
Delegates will be continuously assessed during the SSSTS course in preparation for the final examination and will need to achieve 72% in the final exam, in order to successfully complete the SSSTS course.
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a CITB accredited certificate which is valid for five years.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.
Delegates should inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in undertaking elements of this training course.
For SSSTS training held at your own location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a 240v power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. Please ensure that the practical area has been risk assessed, is free from harm and is suitable for training.
Usually 08.00 - 17.00. Course times will be confirmed in the joining instructions once the course has been booked.