NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health
As stated within the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999, any Manager who is appointed to control health and safety issues must be “suitably and sufficiently trained”. The NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety is an examined basic level qualification designed to provide the necessary knowledge.
Who Should Attend?
Managers, Supervisors, Team Leaders, or Safety Representatives who play a significant role within the management of organisational health & safety.
The syllabus for this course is divided into 3 units, as follows:
NGC1 – Management of Health & Safety
- Foundations in health and safety
- Organising for health and Safety
- Promoting a positive culture
- Risk Assessment
- Principals of control
- Monitoring review and audit
- Incident and accident investigation and reporting
NGC2 – Controlling Workplace Hazards
- Movement of people and vehicles – hazards and control
- Manual and mechanical handling – hazards and control
- Workplace equipment hazards and control
- Electrical hazards and control
- Fire hazards and control
- Chemical and biological health – hazards and control
- Physical and psychological health – hazards and control
- Construction activities – hazards and control
NGC3 – Health and Safety Practical Application (Practical Examination)
- To carry out, unaided, a safety inspection of a workplace identifying the more common hazards, deciding whether they are adequately controlled and, where necessary, suggesting appropriate and cost effective remedial action
- To prepare a report that persuasively urges Management to take appropriate action, explaining why such action is needed and identifying the remedial measures that should be implemented.
A 2 hour written exam for both units NGC1 and NGC2 will be required to be completed to gain the qualification.
A total of 80 hours tuition time will be delivered and NEBOSH advise a further 49 hours of private study time will be required to ensure a successful result.
Duration: 12 Days (including examinations)