The NEBOSH National General Certificate is a qualification designed to help those with health and safety responsibilities (e.g. managers, supervisors and employee representatives) to discharge more effectively their organisational duties and functions.
Who Should Attend?
This course has been specially designed for those people needing a broad base of knowledge and understanding on which a basic level of competence in occupational safety and health can be developed. Such people include managers, supervisors, employee representatives and others involved in employee safety. To date almost 74, 000 people have taken and been awarded this Certificate.
Delegates will receive detailed training and will be given the opportunity to apply practical knowledge whilst gaining a clearer understanding of:
- Current safety legislation and industry best practice
- Roles and responsibilities
- Workplace hazards and controls
- Risk Management
The course consists of two blocks of five study days separated by a week. A revision day is also provided prior to the examinations. The system of assessment consists of two written examination papers, each of two hours duration (Part A1 and Part A2) and a practical assessment of two hours duration. The course delivery is based on a learner centred approach and is therefore highly participative. Delegates are required to be totally committed and will also be required to undertake private study to prepare fully for the examinations.
Distance learners will be assigned an individual tutor who will be available to offer guidance and support to delegates undertaking the course. Delegates will be provided with all course materials including study guidance and appropriate distance learning resources.
The National General Certificate syllabus comprises three parts:
Unit NGC1 - The Management of Safety and Health
- Foundations in health and safety
- Organising for health and safety
- Promoting a positive health and safety culture
- Risk assessment
- Principles of control
- Monitoring, review and audit
- Incident investigation, recording and reporting
Unit NGC2 - Controlling Workplace Hazards
- Movement of people and vehicles hazards and control
- Manual and mechanical handling hazards and control
- Work equipment hazards and control
- Electrical hazards and control
- Fire hazards and control
- Chemical and biological health hazards and control
- Physical and psychological health hazards and control
- Construction activities hazards and control
Unit NGC3 - Health and Safety Practical Assessment
Certification and Assessment
Delegates will be assessed through practical and written examinations set by The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH).
Successful delegates will be awarded with the nationally recognised qualification.
Suggested Follow on and Complementary Courses
NEBOSH Fire Safety and Risk Management, NEBOSH Certificate in Construction Safety and Health, NEBOSH Diploma.
Usually 8.45am start. Course times will be confirmed in the joining instructions once the course has been booked.