The First Aid at Work course is delivered using a ‘hands-on’, practical approach, combined with tutor presentations to give delegates the best opportunity of mastering the practicalities of first aid treatment.
First Aid at Work training includes the Emergency First Aid at Work syllabus and also equips the first-aider to apply first aid to a range of specific injuries and illnesses.
The trainer offer the First Aid at Work Course over three days and the Refresher course over two days.
Delegates are eligible to attend one 3 hour skills update course within their 3 year qualification.
Who Should Attend:
The course is suitable for any person who has been carefully selected to ensure that they are capable of taking on the responsibilities of a first aider.
On completion of training, successful candidates should be able to:
- Understand the role of the first-aider, including reference to: the importance of preventing cross infection;
- The need for recording incidents and actions;
- Use of available equipment
- Assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency;
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unconscious (including seizure);
- Administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Train in the use of an AED
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is chocking, wounded and bleeding or suffering from shock;
- Provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes, bruises, small splinters;
- Recognise the presence of major illness (including heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, asthma, diabetes) and provide appropriate first aid;
- Administer first aid to a casualty with;
- Injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including suspected spinal injuries;
- Chest injuries;
- Burns and scalds;
- Eye injuries;
- Sudden poisoning;
- Anaphylactic shock
Certification and Assessments:
Candidates are given practical assessments the final day of the course. Certificates issued will be valid for three years. Certificates need to be renewed prior to the expiry date or within 28 days of expiry.
Delegates who wish to attend the 2 day refresher courses must produce a copy of their original certificate when reserving their place.