What to expect from an SMSTS refresher course?
The 2-day SMSTS refresher is the natural choice for those whose SMSTS certificates are coming tothe end of their five-year validity period. Introduced in April 2002 as part of the Site Management Safety Training Scheme the SMSTS refresher is a shortened version on the longer five-day, Site Managers Safety Training Scheme. It is available throughout the UK at different accredited training centres, which allows for delegates to fit the course around their schedule easier than ifthey had to travel further and take more time away from their job as a result.
The SMSTS refresher course is part of the wider Site Safety Plus family, set up by the CITB. This scheme includes the SMSTS course full course for site managers, the PMSTS course for plant managers and the SSSTS course for site supervisors. The aim of all the Site Safety Plus courses (and the SMSTS refresher isno exception) is to promote a positive health and safety culture within the construction industry. This includes encouraging a positive attitude to health and safety within the workforce and acting in a timely manner on anything that poses a potential danger.
Once the candidate has successfully achieved the SMSTS refresher course their certificate is valid for another 5 years.
What Can Delegates expect from an SMSTS Refresher Course?
The course will refresh your knowledge on the areas of learning on the full course, as well as updating you on any developments within the industry and in legislation that managers need to be effective in their role.
In more detail, the material that is covered in the refresher includes:
· Updates on current HSE policy
· Refreshing knowledge and understanding on how to complete risk assessment
· Method statements
· A briefing on the 2015 Construction Design Management Regulations parts1 and 2
· Reporting accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences in the workplace(Riddor)
· Recent updates to COSHH 2002, Noise at Work Regulations 2005, Fire Safety Order 2005 and Working at Height 2005
Assessment of the course depends on the following aspects:
1. Full attendance for the whole 2 days
2. Review of the delegate by the tutor across the key areas of the course
3. A short multiple-choice test at the end of the 2 days. This relates to the material covered in the course.
Criteria to Sit the SMSTS Refresher
To qualify for the SMSTS refresher, delegates must have completed the full five-day SMSTS course within five years of enrolling on the refresher course
If the certificate has expired before a delegate has completed the Refresher course, then the full five-day course must be retaken to gain SMSTS status.