How to get the CSCS Green Labourer's Card
The Construction Skills Competency Scheme (CSCS) launched the Labourers card in 2014 as a replacement for the Construction Site Operative (CSO) card. Commonly known as the ‘Green’ card, this course is suitable for those who wish to work as a Labourer in the construction or civil engineering industries.
In order to achieve the CSCS Labourers card, candidates must:
- Complete a CSCS Health, Safety and Environment test for Operatives
- Complete a Level One Health and Safety qualification
- Complete a CSCS application form
CSCS Health, Safety and Environment Test for Operatives
The CSCS Health, Safety and Environment test for Operatives is a multiple-choice test which can be completed at your local Pearson Vue centre.
The CSCS HSE test is primarily used as proof that the candidate who has completed the test has basic health and safety knowledge. As a result, the HSE test is both used and recognised by the CSCS, NPORS and CPCS card schemes.
Revision materials for the test are available. Candidates can purchase the CITB’s book, ‘Health and Safety and Environment Test for Operatives and Specialists’ online or in well known bookstores. The CITB have also created an App for smartphone users to download at a cost of £5.99* Please note that the CITB regularly review and revise this study material, so please purchase the most up to date version.
In order to apply for the CSCS Labourers card, candidates must have completed the CSCS HSE test within the past two years.
Level One Health and Safety Qualification
The CSCS recognise the following Health and Safety courses as part of their application process:
- CITB Health and Safety Awareness course: This one-day course can be completed either online or in a classroom. Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a CITB accredited certificate which is valid for five years.
- IOSH Safety, Health and Environment for Construction Workers course: This course was created in March 2020 and can also be completed either online or in a classroom. Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive an IOSH accredited certificate which is valid for life.
- Level 1 Health and Safety in a Construction Environment: This online RQF course takes approximately two to three hours to complete and upon successful completion, candidates will receive a pass certificate.
- SPA Construction Core course: Upon successful completion of this one day, classroom based course, candidates will receive a pass certificate which can be used as part of the CSCS card application process. Candidates will also receive a SPA accredited Safety Passport which is valid for five years.
Please note that as of 31st March 2020, the CSCS will no longer be accepting the IOSH Working Safely certificate.
CSCS Card Application
Once candidates have completed the CSCS test and relevant level one qualification, they can then apply for the CSCS Labourer's Green Card using the following CSCS Card Application Link
Candidates will require proof of their passing both qualifications and a passport style photograph. Candidates will also be required to pay a £36* administration fee.
Once the card has been applied for, candidates usually receive this in the post, directly from the CSCS, within five working days.
*Prices correct as of April 2021