What is SSSTS for?
The supervisors safety training scheme is a requirement for all supervisors who will be working on their sites, as set out by the major contractors group.
This two day course meets the standards set by the UK Construction Group (UKCG) – any site with more than 2 construction workers should hold SSSTS certification. This course prepares candidates for the Site Management Safety Training Scheme and is ideal for Supervisors and Working Foremans.
This course is aimed at first line managers, foreman, gangers, team leaders, supervisors and those who have, or are about to acquire supervisory responsibilities. It provides an introduction to health, safety, welfare and environmental issues as well as legal responsibilities relevant to their work.
By completing this course you will be able to:
- Understand the problems of the industry
- Have an understanding of how health and safety law is structured and how it applies to supervisors
- Identify how their supervisory role fits in with the management structure in controlling the site safely
- Carry out risk assessments and understand the need for method statements
- Carry out effective site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings
- Be able to monitor site activities effectively.
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a CITB accredited certificate which is valid for five years.
Successful candidates can go on to complete the 5 day site managers safety training scheme (SMSTS) course designed for site managers and supervisors.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.