The Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) is one of the most highly regarded health and safety training courses for the Construction, Building Maintenance and Facilities Management sectors and is achieved by 1000’s of construction personnel each year.
The SMSTS course covers in depth all of the required legislation and areas which affect safe working practices whilst working in Construction Industry, Civil Engineering and on or around building sites. The course highlights proper use of risk assessments in the workplace and the correct implementation of the necessary control measures and adequate communication to ensure a strong Health and Safety culture on a construction site.
The two-day SMSTS Refresher course is for delegates who have previously passed the full five day Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course and can provide proof of attendance.
Who Should Attend
Only those delegates who have passed the five-day CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course and can provide evidence of this are eligible to attend the two-day refresher course. Delegates need to have passed the full five-day SMSTS course within five years of their refresher course start date to be eligible.
It aims to bring health & safety knowledge up to date, as well as giving a thorough overview of the legislative changes and their impact in the workplace. The course includes a wide range of topics, many building on the previous five-day SMSTS course programme, as well as introducing new subjects.
The refresher course aims to:
- Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety, welfare and environmental issues and
- identify measure that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation, and new working practices
The course will provide delegates with:
- awareness of, and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as a manager
- awareness of and able to implement new guidance and industry best practice
- increased awareness of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
Course work is assessed by the trainer throughout the course, however there is also a 30 minute objective multiple choice examination at the end of the course. Successful candidates will be awarded the CITB Site Managers Safety Training Refresher Certificate.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.