The refresher course is for Delegates who have previously passed the full SMSTS course or subsequent Refresher course and can provide proof of attendance. It aims to bring health and safety knowledge up to date, as well as giving a thorough overview of the legislative changes and their impact in the workplace. The course includes a wide range of topics many building on the previous five-day course programme as well as introducing new subjects.
The refresher course aims to:
- Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety, welfare and environmental issues; and
- Identify measures that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation, and new working practices.
At the end of the period of training, Delegates will be:
- Aware of, and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as a manager
- Aware of and able to implement new guidance and industry of best practice
- More aware of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
The preferred method of delivering the refresher course is on two consecutive days. The Site Safety Plus Department recognises that Training Providers may have to deliver this course as two separate non-consecutive days on occasion to meet client needs; however, every effort should be made to run the course by the preferred method. It is important that continuity of training is maintained on this short intensive course.
Delegates are required to attend both sessions, since without full attendance and achievement in the examination the renewal of the Construction Site Manager’s Safety Certificate cannot be made.
Delegates must attend the days in order and, where not on consecutive days, must complete the course within two weeks. Delegates unable to attend both days due to extenuating circumstances (e.g. certificated sickness) will need to enrol onto a new course in order to maintain continuity of learning outcomes and attend both days again.
Only those Delegates who hold an existing SMSTS or subsequent Refresher course and provided evidence to the Training Provider before attending the course are eligible to attend the refresher course. Failure to attend the refresher course prior to the expiry of
an existing certificate will require Delegates to re-enter the scheme by completing the full
SMSTS course if they wish to remain in the scheme.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.
- Introductions and objectives
- Regulations up-date and overview
- Work at Height Regulations
- Fall-arrest and Suspension
- Plant and equipment
- Control of Noise
- Control of Vibration
- Fire prevention and control
- Other topics selected by delegates (e.g. young people, foreign workers, working time) A6
- Risk assessment
- Syndicate exercise
- Exercise presentations feedback
- Day one review
- Review day one
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- Accident reporting, investigation, prevention and control
- Open forum for delegate selected topics, for example: Control of asbestos, Lone working, Environmental management and Waste management
- Management of health on site
- Behaviour-based safety
- Drugs and alcohol misuse
- Results feedback and course review