Course entry criteria
As the assembly and use of MEWPs can be physically demanding, users should be physically fit and in good health and should, generally, not have problems with eyesight or hearing, heart disease, high blood pressure, epilepsy, fear of heights / vertigo, giddiness / difficulty with balance, impaired limb function, alcohol or drug dependence or psychiatric illness.
If you have any problems with literacy or language comprehension, or have any doubts about your fitness to use MEWPs, you must bring them to the attention of your employer. This need not preclude you from using MEWPs, provided your employer conducts an assessment and is able to put into place adequate measures, to take account of any difficulties you may have.
IPAF MEWP Operator Training
The International Powered Access Federation (IPAF) Operator training course is for anyone who operates scissor lifts, telescopic and articulating booms, vertical platforms, vehicle mounted platforms, and telehandlers with integrated controls
To instruct an operator to prepare and safely operate various types of Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs) and to obtain an IPAF MEWP Operators Licence.
At the end of the course the operator will:-
- Be aware of the relevant Health and Safety regulations
- Be aware of accident prevention and control
- Be aware of the needs regarding personnel protection
- Be aware of the need to refer to the machine Operating Manual
- Drive the MEWP safely and manoeuvre the machine as required, to correctly position and carry out the required tasks in a correct and proper manner, inside and outside a building.
- MEWP categories
- Structural parts
- Pre-use inspection/handover
- Safe operating methods and hazards
- Theory test (pass or fail)
- Practical training
- Practical assessment (pass or fail)
- Licence renewal and Log books
- Course evaluation
Training will be carried out at our fully equipped training centre, (Indoor training area available in case of inclement weather) or nationwide at your site/premises. (Subject to prior survey/approval) For courses held at our training centre, refreshments and lunch will be provided
What to bring with you
- Full body Harness.
- Hi visibility vest/jacket.
- Hard hat.
- Safety boots.
Other PPE will be issued during the practical session as required.