Gas and Power Trading Programme
For those seeking an introduction to the traded markets, ICE Education will be running the - Gas & Power Trading Programme - an entry level non-assessed trading course.
The course offers delegates the opportunity to obtain an overview of the Gas & Power markets as well as learn and put into practice essential trading techniques (see video overview of simulator used in course).
There will be a 3 stage delivery format - education, trading and then review.
Over the three days, delegates will experience individual simulations covering flat price trading, time and geographical spreads trading and asset optimisation.
The course concludes with the Gas & Power end game, where delegates have the opportunity to demonstrate all of the techniques previously covered. They will be expected to spot opportunities and act upon them decisively, manage all elements of their risk, manage a power station and optimise the return through physical and paper trading. All the time remaining within the position limits set by the team, just like a real Trader.
All delegates will be subject to continuous mentoring and coaching throughout the three days.
Who Should Attend
- If your work is affected by the changes to the price of energy
- Energy industry staff working in supply, trading risk management, storage, finance, transportation and E&P
- Energy trading and distribution companies
- Energy-related government departments
- Purchasing, planning and finance departments in major energy consumers
- Energy publications
- Bankers, accountants, auditors and others associated with energy companies and energy project financing
Education - An experienced Book Leader/Trading Manager from the team will deliver a lecture on a specific concept.
Trading - After the lecture, the delegates will move to a trading desk where they will use the sophisticated trading simulator, 'Ignite' to demonstrate their understanding of the concept introduced. 'Ignite' is used to enhance learning through practical hands on experience and runs Gas & Power simulations varying in length from 30mins to 2 hours.
Review - When the trading simulation is complete, the course team will then walk through the simulation describing the price curve, specific market dynamics and reinforce important learning points.
- Overview of the gas markets
- Introduction to the trading simulator
- Gas market simulation and review
- Trading and trading discipline
- NBP - Flat price trading simulation and review
- Introduction to gas storage
- Basics of spreads
- Time spread simulation and review
- Introduction to LNG
- FX and its relevance to spreads
- Geographical spreads simulation and review
- The negotiation exercise
- Introduction to the power market
- Introduction to coal and emissions
- Power trading simulation and review
- Introduction to the gas and power end game
- Gas and power end game and review