City & Guilds 2391-50 Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations
Course Duration: 5 days
Qualification: City & Guilds Level 3
City & Guilds 2391-50 and City & Guilds 2391-51
Due to similarities within the syllabuses and examinations of 2394 (Initial Verification) and 2395 (Periodic Inspection and Testing) and the courses having been designed to complement each other, some of the formal course content and delivery may be repeated across both courses. However, the discussions during the courses will differ as appropriate.
This Award thoroughly prepares the candidate to undertake and understand the principles, practices and legislation for the Initial Verification of electrical installations. The course will include the following:
- Statutory requirements of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
- Safe and effective inspection of electrical systems and equipment
- Appropriate procedures for achieving safe isolation
- Health and Safety requirements when inspecting, testing and certifying electrical installations
- Selection of the appropriate items to be checked during the inspection process
- Methods of verifying protection of persons and livestock
- The earth fault loop paths of the common earthing systems
- The appropriate documentation that must be completed, as per BS 7671
Who will benefit from this course?
The course is aimed at practising electricians, or equivalent, who have already been carrying out the process of Initial Verification (including inspection, testing and certification) as per the requirements of BS 7671 and require a formal, recognised qualification.
It is however important to note that this course (and more importantly, the syllabus) anticipate that candidates have an understanding of electrical theory; including the effects of resistances on cables, common electrical equations, etc., and how to work safely in accordance with the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.
To achieve this qualification, candidates must complete all of the following assessments;
- 2391-050: A multiple-choice, electronic examination (using the City & Guilds e-Volve examination system)
- 2391-500: A practical assignment; including a short-answer written examination and practical inspection and testing tasks (incorporating elements of a three-phase electrical installation)
Progression and Further Training:
On completion of this course, individuals may wish to progress onto achieving the following City & Guilds qualifications:
- City & Guilds 2391-51 Level 3 Award in the Periodic inspection, testing and certification
of Electrical Installations
- City & Guilds 2391-52 Level 3 Award in the Inspection and testing of Electrical
Installations (a combination of City & Guilds 2391-50 and City & Guilds 2391-52, for experienced electrical inspectors)
- City & Guilds 2396-01 Level 4 Award in the Design and Verification of Electrical Installations
The course either has new dates in data loading, or is only run as a dedicated or In Company course.