City & Guilds 2391-51 Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection of Electrical InstallationsCourse Duration:
City & Guilds Level 3
City & Guilds 2391-50 and City & Guilds 2391-51
Due to similarities within the syllabuses and examinations of 2391-50 (Initial Verification) and 2391-51 (Periodic Inspection and Testing) and the courses having been designed to
complement each other, some of the formal course content and delivery may be repeated
across both courses. However, the discussions during the courses will differ as appropriate.
This Award thoroughly prepares the candidate to undertake and understand the principles, practices and legislation for the Periodic inspection of electrical installations. The course will include the following;
- Statutory requirements of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, and associated
- Safe and effective visual inspection of electrical installations
- Appropriate procedures for achieving effective safe isolation
- Health and safety requirements when inspecting, testing and reporting on the condition of electrical installations
- Selection of the appropriate items to be checked during the inspection process
- The earth fault loop paths of the common earthing systems
- The appropriate documentation that must be completed, as per BS 7671, to conclude
the Periodic inspection
Who will benefit from this course?
The course is aimed at practising electricians, who have already been carrying out the
process of periodic Inspection (including inspection, testing and condition reporting) as
per the requirements of BS 7671 and require a formal, recognised qualification.
It is however important to note that this course (and more importantly, the syllabus)
anticipate that candidates have an understanding of electrical theory; including the effect of resistances on cables, common electrical equations, etc., and how to work safely in accordance with the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.
As this course deals with the application of knowledge involved with the inspection
and testing of electrical installations, it is anticipated that candidates who wish to
undertake this course should have some electrical experience in inspection and
testing of electrical installations; preferably participation in the process of initial
verification and/or periodic inspection and testing.
To achieve this qualification, candidates must complete all of the following assessments;
- 2391-051: A multiple-choice, electronic examination (using the City & Guilds e-Volve
- 2391-501: A practical assignment; including a short-answer written examination and
practical inspection and testing tasks (incorporating elements of a three-phase electrical installation)
Progression and Further Training:
On completion of this course, individuals may wish to progress in career development
and onto achieving the following City & Guilds qualifications:
- City & Guilds 2391-50 Level 3 Award in the Initial verification of Electrical Installations
- City & Guilds 2391-52 Level 3 Award in the Inspection and testing of Electrical
Installations (a combination of City & Guilds 2391-50 and City & Guilds 2391-52, for
experienced electrical inspectors)
- City & Guilds 2396-01 Level 4 Award in the Design and Verification of Electrical Installations