City and Guilds 2372 Certificate in Installing and Testing Domestic Photovoltaic
This City and Guilds 2372 course is mainly aimed at qualified electricians who are seeking to obtain the skills to install grid connected domestic photovoltaic systems that are either integrated into the built environment, or ‘retro fitted’ to an existing domestic property.
City and Guilds 2372 has been developed specifically to address the underpinning knowledge and the specialist installation skills as required for domestic solar photovoltaic installations, and concentrates on typical commercially available PV panel installations. Other topics that are covered in the course will include the specific areas within the Building Regulations, MCS certification, FIT’s and other Codes of Practice related to PV systems.
The Department of Energy and Climate Change supports the recognition of providing the necessary training to ensure that the right qualified personnel are in place to meet the UK’s carbon reduction targets. Furthermore, Solar PV systems are seen as an essential part of the Coalition Government’s green energy policy.
Course pre-entry requirements
We thoroughly recommend that all delegates who are interested in attending this course are practicing electricians, preferably with experience in testing and inspecting, and therefore have the appropriate and required qualifications that relate to Solar PV installations. You will need as a minimum, an up to date 17th Edition qualification, City and Guilds 2382-10 or City and Guilds 2382-20 or equivalent - you will also need to have a qualification covering testing and initial verification – this would be evidenced by the delegate having successful passes in either City and Guilds 2392-10 or City and Guilds 2391.
- Introduction to Solar Photovoltaic systems and how they work
- Applicable Standards, Regulations and other Codes of Practice
- PV system components
- MCS Certifications and other approvals
- Customer and client service
- Practical Site Surveying, including azimuth and horizon calculations and measurements, Insolation irradiance testing, typical FIT estimates and roof structure verification
- Health and Safety
- Typical roof structures, and roof photovoltaic panel fixing techniques, including working at heights in a simulated exercise
- Installation techniques for inverters, export meters, and any client PC interface
- PV System labelling
- G83/1 and G59/1 compliance and MCS certification
- Connection to consumer unit/distribution board
- Testing including measurements of all circuit voltages, fault currents for modules, strings and arrays
- Solar Photovoltaic Panel Installation Fault finding
- Inverter testing
- Final commissioning
City and Guilds 2372 is assessed with a written examination that has 20 ‘short’ answer questions and 1 ‘long’ answer question. The duration of the written examination is 1.5 hours. There is a further 2.5 hour practical assessment
City and Guilds 2372 leads to a nationally recognised accredited award upon successful completion of both the written and practical assessments. City and Guilds 2372 can be used by individuals for the purposes of obtaining MCS scheme certification, and can be used as evidence of and individuals training and technical ability to install and commission Solar PV systems.
The course either has new dates in data loading, or is only run as a dedicated or In Company course.