Advanced Materials Storage Management - Policy and Process
Caring for goods and equipment: the rationale behind methods, procedures and techniques.
Stores managers have strategic importance within any company. They need to know the rationale behind the processes and practices in their facility, so that they can improve them. They often need to develop new procedures that are appropriate and robust. And they need to be able to lead their staff with confidence and authority. An effective stores manager can do more than look after your valuable material; they can influence policy.
This course introduces an integrated, strategic methodology that will help your stores managers contribute more effectively to the success of your business.
We have designed this course for experienced senior supervisors, stores managers and stores superintendents. It is also appropriate for people soon to be promoted into such roles and for graduates on rapid development routes.
By the end of the programme participants will be able to:
- Summarise global best practice
- Compare options for equipment, systems, processes and procedures
- Understand the rationale behind existing methods
- Improve existing processes and procedures in their organisation
- Raise health and safety standards in the facility where they work
Topics covered will include:
- Materials storage as part of supply chain management
- Delivering excellence to the customer
- Holistic evaluation of the management issues of outsourcing
- Developing leaner and more agile value chains and just-in-time supply
- The requirements of appropriate inward inspection
- The challenges of codification, certification, and traceability
- Performance management through the use of KPIs and customised costing systems
- Automated and mechanised systems and equipment
- The financial impact of different equipment specifications and methods
- Different storage regimes and their associated objectives, e.g. stores and sub-stores, squirrel stores, free-issues stores
- Differentiating the specific need of project materials management
- The effective use of Warehouse Management Systems (WMS)
- Optimum cube utilization and labour productivity
- Picking management and picking methods
- Costing systems
- Despatch management
- Break bulk and cross-docking within tight deadlines
- Sustainability and the environment: implementing programmes for recycling and waste disposal
- Mitigating operational risk, and ensuring resilience
This course is available for in-house delivery if required.
This course will be conducted in the English language.