What Are My Options for a NEBOSH Course Program?
One of the first things to consider when looking for a NEBOSH course
is whether to attend a classroom based course or adopt the distance learning course option. The Classroom Based Learning Option
Classroom based courses have traditionally been the most popular option for many seeking a NEBOSH qualification. The advantage of this approach is that dedicated time can be applied to the learning process without the interruptions that always occur on a day to day basis. The difficulty is often finding the course that you want at the right location, the best price and on dates that suit your existing schedules and commitments.
Here the internet can be an invaluable tool for finding the best course options. There are now, a large number of NEBOSH accredited training organisations based throughout the UK, and it should be possible to find courses in all major cities as well as other locations. The Distance Learning Option
The alternative to the classroom based approach is to look for a NEBOSH course
that is provided as distance learning option. Although it will be necessary to sit the exam(s) at an agreed location of which there are many throughout the UK, the course itself can be completed at a pace that suits you. One of the traditional problems with distance learning courses is that it is that they require a lot of self-discipline and self-motivation to work through them. However now that the World is more accessible through the internet, there are many support mechanisms that can come into play to ensure that candidates on distance learning courses do not work through their course in isolation. Many courses include telephone and/or online internet support from expert tutors, online student forums and a range of interactive materials available on the web. NEBOSH Course Options.
Having decided on the NEBOSH course
learning approach that best suits your needs, it is also necessary to choose the course that satisfies your learning requirements. The most common courses are the certificate level courses and the diploma level courses.
The NEBOSH certificate levels are generally primer courses, for managers, supervisors and others in the early stage of increasing their health and safety learning. The common NEBOSH course
options at certificate level are:
• National General Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health, which has two theory units and practical unit.
• National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety, which is has two theory units, one of which is shared with the General Certificate course and a practical unit.
• NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
• Fire Safety and Risk Management Certificate. The first unit of the Fire Safety and Risk Management certificate is also common to the NEBOSH General certificate
• National Certificate in Environmental Management, which is an increasingly popular certificate course option.
N.B. As the first unit of the NEBOSH General certificate is also part of the NEBOSH Construction and NEBOSH Fire Course, there are also conversion courses for Construction on Fire for candidates who have passed the first unit of the NEBOSH General Certificate within the last five years.
The NEBOSH Diploma courses are higher level professional qualifications for health and safety or environmental practitioners. The NEBOSH course
options at Diploma Level include:
• National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
• International Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
• Diploma in Environmental Management