The SMSTS refresher course is for any delegate who has attended the five-day Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) Course, since 01 January 2001 and whose SMSTS card / certificate is due to expire (5 years). Those who completed SMSTS training prior to this date are advised to attend however, it is not mandatory to do so.
The minimum entry equipment is a good understanding of spoken and written English
The two-day Site Management Safety Training Scheme Refresher (SMR) course aims to:
- Improve awareness of recent developments in construction, legislation and health, safety, welfare and environmental issues.
- Identify measures that will assist the practical implementation of responsibilities established by new legislation and new working practices.
The SMSTS refresher course (CITB) content includes:
- Legislation, ACOP updates with discussions on impact and practical aspects of compliance.
- Overview of proposed/impending legislation.
- Accident statistics, costs, causes, management responsibilities/methods in prevention.
- HSE's current focus on construction activities.
- Safety management systems, policies, plans and performance measuring.
- Management of Contractors.
- Communication and consultation aspects, effective use of toolbox talks' and site inductions'
- Behavioural science including awareness of human error, stress and prevention
- Syndicate exercises:
- Prevention of accidents
- Motivating safety behaviour
- Planning for health and safety in relation to fire safety, working at height, manual handling, and movement of people within the context of a project.
By the end of the SMSTS refresher course of training delegates will be:
- Aware of and able to implement all updated health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them in their role as a manager.
- Aware of and able to implement new guidance and industry of best practice.
- More aware of their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
The SMSTS refresher course has a high proportion of discussions, best practice sharing, syndicate exercises and case studies supplemented with video and classroom based tutorials.
Delegates will be continuously assessed during the SMSTS refresher course in preparation for the final multiple choice examination.
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates will receive a CITB accredited certificate which is valid for five years.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.
Delegates should inform their trainer if they have any serious health issues, physical problems, special considerations or are taking any medication, which may create difficulties in undertaking elements of this training course.
For SMSTS refresher training held at your own location, please ensure that the classroom you make available has a 240v power supply and is a suitable size for the number of delegates attending. Please ensure that the practical area has been risk assessed, is free from harm and is suitable for training.
Usually 8.00am - 5.00pm. Course times will be confirmed in the joining instructions once the course has been booked.