SMSTS (CITB) - Site Management Safety Training Scheme
5 days Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for site managers, agents and persons who are, or are about to be, responsible for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff and workforce. Aim:
This programme is designed to enable Managers to help site managers, agents and supervisors to:
- Manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provisions, and within the context of their management or supervisory role
- Develop an understanding of responsibilities and accountability for site health, safety and welfare
- Recognise a safe site is efficient, economical and productive Content
- Introduction to health and safety law, duties, responsibilities, enforcement and sanctions
- Overviews/explanations of relevant construction activity legislation
- Accident costs, causes, investigation, prevention and reporting requirements
- Risk assessment and ‘principles of prevention’
- Safety management systems, policies, plans, performance and measuring
- Management of Contractors
- Development of ‘safe systems of work’ and permit systems
- Effective communicating
- Behavioural science including awareness of human error
- Motivating safety behaviour
- Recognition of an organisation’s duties and responsibilities
- Recognition of responsibilities of Managers, Supervisors and Operatives
- Production of site activity instructions (safe system of work)
- Planning for health and safety within the context of a project Knowledge
By the end of the course delegates will be aware of, and be able to:
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them during their daily work
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice
- State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment Training Methods
A high proportion of discussions, best practice sharing, syndicate exercises and case studies supplemented with video and classroom based tutorials.
Delegates will be continuously assessed during the course in preparation for the final multiple choice examination. Additional Information
Issue of the most highly regarded Construction Site Managers Safety certificate (valid 5 years) will be awarded to those persons who successfully complete the course including the compulsory final examination (80% pass grade).
Training grant aid is provided in accordance with the current CITB grants scheme.
Please note that as of the 1st January 2016, CITB Site Management / Site Supervisor certificates will no longer have a six month grace period and candidates will need to attend a Refresher course before the expiry date of their original certificate.
Suggested Follow-Up Courses
- First Aid at Work
- The Management of Working at Height