Who Should Attend?
IOSH Directing Safely is a course intended for people with strategic responsibility for determining and implementing effective health and safety management within the organisation. Directing safely is designed to support directors in leading the health and safety agenda in private, public and third sector organisations.Course Length:
1 Day (min 6 hours)Level:
Nationwide or In-HouseAims:
The course aims to provide directors/owners of companies with an understanding of the moral, legal and business case for proactive health and safety management and to give guidance on effective risk management.
On successful completion of the course, delegates should be able to:
- Recognise the importance of strategic health and safety management and its integration into other business management systems
- Understand the health and safety role and responsibilities of directors
- Appreciate the consequences of failing to manage health and safety effectively
- Plan the direction for health and safety through developing and implementing policy
- Appreciate the value of an adequately resourced health and safety management system
- Understand the importance of performance monitoring for continual improvement of health and safety management.
• Module1 – Why direct safely?
• Module 2 – Planning health & safety
• Module 3 – Delivering health & safety
• Module 4 – Monitoring health & safety
• Module 5 – Reviewing health & safety
An IOSH Directing Safely Certificate is awarded to all those who attend the course and successfully complete the written and practical assessments and obtain 70% pass.
Understanding of the course material is evaluated by means of a 15-minute written assessment paper consisting of 10 multi-choice questions and a project designed to test the delegate’s knowledge of acceptable records/documentary evidence required to support an organisation’s defence in litigation.